A Partnership for Your Safety
Whether you are on campus or abroad, life carries risk. Study abroad is an incredibly rich and empowering experience. But, unforeseen emergencies can occur whether you are here at home or at an international location. And we can’t monitor every personal decision you make daily while abroad any more than we could on your US campus.
What we can do is partner with you, your family, our faculty and staff to minimize your risk while traveling and ensure that your international experience is an excellent one. When you travel and study with UCEAP, safety is a shared responsibility that requires you to be a well-informed and active participant in your own well-being overseas. We guarantee to provide you with all the information, resources and support you need to make smart decisions about studying and traveling abroad and know how to handle an emergency if one occurs.
UCEAP has a long track record of bringing students abroad successfully and safely. In fact, thousands of students like you have studied internationally with our programs and we make your health and safety a top priority in every study abroad experience we offer.
What we do
- We provide you with predeparture and on-site orientations and comprehensive predeparture guides to help you prepare for your experience abroad.
- We closely monitor international security situations so you and your family can make informed decisions about your travel.
- We have comprehensive and proven protocols in place to take action and provide you with every assistance during an emergency, day or night.
- We know no one plans an emergency: We offer a 24-hour emergency line so that help is there whenever you need it.
The Health and Safety Team
The UCEAP International Health, Safety, and Emergency Response (IHS&ER) Unit is dedicated to international health and safety related to UCEAP programming around the world. We are a recognized and highly respected leader in providing international academic experiences for students. Our experienced staff in California and abroad are ready to answer questions you or your parents may have.
UCEAP Travel Insurance
UCEAP participants are automatically enrolled in the UCEAP travel insurance policy, providing medical and non-medical benefits, so that you can get the medical care you need while abroad. UCEAP travel insurance serves as your primary medical coverage while abroad. It works on a reimbursement basis. Costs for medical care must be paid out-of-pocket, and are then reimbursable according to the policy details. Some benefits include:
- $0 deductible/$0 copay
- Prescription drug benefits
- Mental health counseling
- Medical/security evacuation
- Continued treatment for pre-existing, covered conditions
- Personal property (limits apply)
- Trip cancellation/delay
Emergency Response and Support
Any serious, unexpected, or dangerous situation requiring immediate action is an emergency. The UCEAP response units in California and abroad are experienced and knowledgeable about emergency preparedness and incident management; you and your family can reach them 24/7 from anywhere in the world.