Fields of Study: Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Engineering
Study at the University of Nicosia (UNIC) and discover a university situated at the crossroad of the ancient and the modern. Take courses in international relations to take advantage of these unique surroundings as you study energy security, the geopolitics of the Eastern Mediterranean, and Cyprus’ place within the European Union and the world. Study international business and sports management, or explore the local and international economy, entrepreneurship in Nicosia, and Cyprus’ role as an international financial services hub.
Choose courses from a wide variety of disciplines and immerse yourself in the local culture of Nicosia as you attend classes alongside local and international students. As part of the University of Nicosia's Global Semesters program, you have access to hundreds of courses taught in English in subjects including business administration, marketing, communication, international relations, European studies, and many more. Coursework is available in the School of Business, School of Education, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Law, and School of Sciences and Engineering.
Unique study opportunities
- Conduct an independent study or research project for academic credit as part of your full-time course load. UNIC assists in identifying an appropriate faculty member to guide you with your research, site, and field visits.
- Access undergraduate law courses at the School of Law on topics such as criminal law, European Union law, contract law, commercial law, and immigration law.
- Take unique courses in cryptocurrency and blockchain technology at the School of Business.
Language of Instruction: English
Language Study: Optional
All instruction is in English. However, as you can determine your own studies in this program, you also have access to study a variety of languages through the Centre of Modern Languages at the University of Nicosia.
Courses and credit
Requirements While Abroad
To successfully complete this program:
- Take a full-time course of study:
- Fall Quarter: Four courses for a total of 16 quarter UC units.
- Spring Semester: Five courses for a total of 22.5 quarter/15 semester UC units.
- You may take up to one-third (33%) of your total unit load per term on a pass/no pass basis.
Current Program Courses
You’ll enroll at UNIC through the Global Semesters office. The fall term is equivalent to a UC quarter and the spring term a UC semester. Courses are available at both the lower division and upper division levels.
With robust offerings in accounting, business administration, management, and marketing, the University of Nicosia would be a strong fit for business majors looking for an English-language study abroad program. Course offerings vary each semester, but the largest offerings tend to be in accounting, architecture, biology, and electrical engineering, communications, and psychology. You can also seek out field and lab research opportunities as well as internships.
Subjects Primarily Offered in Greek
- Education (There are some Education courses available in English in Music Education, Science Education, and Education Psychology)
- Nutrition (those with the NUTR course code)˚
- Social Work (SOWK)˚
- Sports Science˚
- ˚These courses can be delivered in English with a group of seven or more students in the same class.
- Degree courses through the Medical School are not available to UCEAP students. These courses are coded MED so they are easy to spot.
- Undergraduate students cannot take graduate level courses (UNIC course numbers 500 and above).
Catalogs and resources
- Fall quarter courses: Review a list of frequently offered courses to plan your studies by term.
- Spring semester courses: Review a list of frequently offered courses to plan your studies by term.
- UNIC academic offerings: Check out this comprehensive guide to the many academic opportunities at the University of Nicosia.
- UCEAP Course Catalog: See a list of courses UC students have taken on this program.
- Campus Credit Abroad: Learn the types of credit (major, minor, general education, elective) students from your campus received at this location.
The average class size at UNIC is 12 students and about 30% are international students (degree-seeking, ERASMUS, and North American study abroad). You can expect to see predominantly lecture and discussion style courses with some group projects. In the sciences, there may be some problem-based learning approaches.
You will earn direct UC credit and grades for all coursework. Because this is a new program, we do not yet know when grades will be available.