Fields of Study: Humanities, Social Sciences
Work on your Spanish language skills while being immersed in the culture of southern Spain. Along with language study, you’ll choose two or three courses from a curated list of classes taught in English. Courses cover a range of topics centered around Andalucía, North Africa, and the Mediterranean. The beautiful city of Granada lends itself with equal ease to the traditional study of Spanish art and literature or to broader considerations of Islam in Spain, environmental politics of the Mediterranean, the Arab world and the West, or public health in Spain.
Unique study opportunities
- Interact in classes with UC students and international students from across Europe.
- Compare and contrast Moroccan and Andalusian culture in a multi-day trip to Morocco.
- Experience innovative Spanish training at the University of Granada's Modern Language Center.
LanguageLanguage of Instruction: English, Spanish
Spanish Language Study: Required
The program begins with a language placement test. Unless you place out of intermediate Spanish, language study is required and you’ll take the following Spanish language courses:
- Oral and written production
- Notions of Spanish grammar
Aside from Spanish language classes, all other courses are taught in English.
Courses and credit
Requirements While Abroad
To successfully complete this program:
- Take a full-time course of study: A minimum of four courses and 18 quarter/12 semester UC units.
- You are required to enroll in at least four courses each term. No more than 5 courses are permitted.
- Unless otherwise determined by the placement exam, you must enroll in two Spanish language courses.
- You may select only one course for pass/no pass credit.
- Attend all classes. More than 90% attendance is required to take the final exam.
Current Program Courses
Choose from a list of courses in literature, geography, history, art history, culture, and economics taught in English. A variety of course offerings are available so you can tailor the program to your academic interests. Several of these courses are also offered in Spanish and available if you have adequate language ability.
The courses proposed for the upcoming term include:
- Spanish literature
- Social and demographic changes in Spain
- Mediterranean sustainability: toward local self-sustainability
- History of Spain
- Art history in Spain
- Feminism through cinema in the Mediterranean basin
- Spanish culture and civilization
- Islamic culture in Spain
- Culture and civilization of Latin America
- The Arab world and the West: past and future
- Public health in Spain
- Environmental politics in the European Union
- Economy of Spain and Latin America
- International marketing
- Civil engineering and territory
- Mathematics and reality
Research and independent study are typically not available.
Catalogs and resources
- Modern Language Center online guide: See course details for the latest year.
- UCEAP Course Catalog: See a list of courses UC students have taken on this program.
- Campus Credit Abroad: Learn the types of credit (major, minor, general education, elective) students from your campus received at this location. There are currently no listings for this program in the database.
Iberian Studies Al Andalus is a language and culture program offered specifically for international students through the University of Granada's Modern Language Center. UCEAP has a long association with the University of Granada and is excited to broaden new course options through the Modern Language Center.
Schedules, classrooms, and other course information is available on site and/or the CLM web page. Notifications regarding updates or changes to a particular course are made by email or phone.
The final exams will take place in the final week of the course; there are no classes during the exam week. Exams may not be taken on any day other than the date scheduled.
You will earn direct UC credit and grades for all coursework. Grades for this program are expected approximately two months after the end of the program.