Skip to main content

Support and Safety

Although housing around Fudan University is limited, you will have help securing either a dorm or apartment in Shanghai. Before departure, the UCEAP study center in Shanghai explains your housing options and how to reserve them. For instance, you may reserve a dorm online or, if you prefer an apartment, the study center can reserve a living space based on your preferences.


To help navigate the transition of leaving home and going abroad, you’ll attend in-person and online events. At these events, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and meet the staff who will be supporting you while you study abroad. You’ll learn things like:

  • What student services are available at your host location
  • Where to find local healthcare
  • How and when to register for classes
  • What to do and who to contact in an emergency
  • How to travel to and from where you live to classes
  • How to handle money matters like opening a bank account
  • How to use technology, including your phone, and get access to internet

Most on-site orientations include a tour of the campus and local sites. You will also meet other students on your program and local students who will be part of your experience.

Students with disabilities

Students with disabilities can and do study abroad with great success.

Focus on programs that best fit your interests, academic goals, and career aspirations. Next, you'll work with the staff at the disability services and study abroad offices on your UC campus. They can help you identify strategies for making these programs and locations accessible for your disability. They can also help you get the necessary paperwork you'll need to apply.

After you apply, your UCEAP advisor will coordinate with the institution abroad and connect you with those who can make the arrangements for a successful experience. If your needs cannot be accommodated at any point in the process, your advisors will help you choose another program. You will not be alone in this decision.