Fields of Study: Social Sciences
Explore questions facing European societies and get a firsthand view of contemporary France in a European and international context. Open exclusively to a limited number of UC majors, the curriculum focuses on business, economics, European studies, history, political science and international affairs, journalism, and law.
Unique study opportunities
- Live and study in France's prestigious and historical champagne-producing region.
- Attend classes in a magnificent seventeenth-century building with all the modern facilities and features of a world-class campus.
- Take unique courses in business administration, journalism, and communication or specialized courses in African studies and transatlantic relations.
LanguageLanguage of Instruction: English, French
French Language Study: Required
Sciences Po Reims offers courses in both English and French, with French courses available only to students with requisite language skills. A French language course and language workshop are required. If you have two years or more of French language, you can replace the French language course with a course taught in French.
When taking courses in French, overcoming the language barrier in the context of your courses may be a challenge at first. However, taking courses in French will afford you the opportunity to meet and interact with local students. You’ll be amazed at how your language competency will improve by being immersed in French courses. Many UCEAP alumni have reported that the best thing they did for themselves during their time abroad was push outside their comfort zone and take courses in French.
Courses and credit
Requirements While Abroad
To successfully complete this program:
- Take a full-time course of study: Six to seven courses for a total of 24-28.5 quarter/16-19 semester units.
- You can take up to two courses for pass/no pass per semester.
- If you have two years of university-level French, you can enroll in French-taught courses.
Current Program Courses
Most courses on this program are upper division. Beginning and intermediate levels of French language are lower division. Before formal instruction begins, there is a mandatory welcome program. The welcome program includes social activities, an introduction to French culture, the French educational system, and specific tips about Sciences Po. There is no UC credit for the welcome program.
Research and independent study are typically not available on this program.
Catalogs and resources
- Sciences Po Reims Course Catalog: Scroll down to find the course catalogs for fall and spring semesters. You have the option of receiving a certificate through Sciences Po by following their required courses structure. If you do not wish to receive a certificate you can select from any of the courses.
- UCEAP Course Catalog: This is a new program so there are no courses in the UCEAP Course Catalog at this time.
- Campus Credit Abroad: Learn the types of credit (major, minor, general education, elective) students from your campus received at this location. There are currently no listings for this program in the database.
Unlike practices at UC, full syllabi, course readers, and published course notes are rarely available. You will get a syllabus on the first day of class; however, it may not be as thorough as a UC syllabus. This has been misleading to some UC students, who had the false impression that homework was not required. The truth is there is a lot of preparation required for the final (and sometimes only) exam. You will need to read as much of the course reading material as possible and know your course notes in depth to pass the exam.
You will earn direct UC credit and grades for all coursework. Grades for the fall semester are typically available in late March and grades for the spring semester are typically available in late August.