The capital of the Cantabria region, Santander's allure lies in its character—a calm, peaceful oasis with the liveliness of a small city. Santander proudly displays the modern Spanish lifestyle in its seaside setting. Boasting beaches, lush hills, and a dramatic coastline, the city's primary pastime entails admiring the natural beauty during a stroll or boat cruise. Friendly locals love to socialize—families spend the day together at plazas or shops and the younger crowd hits downtown for the energetic nightlife.
Where is Santander
What to do in Santander
- Pereda Gardens: Choose between a tree-lined walkway or seaside path to a wooded park where thousands of starling birds nest between September and March.
- Mercado de la Esperanza: Throw Cantabrian food specialties in your basket—like anchovies or Picon cheese—at the market built in the Belle Époque style.
- Cabo Mayor: Walk up the cliff-top trail to find stunning scenery all around, including a golden cove, the Bay of Santander, and a lighthouse with a public art gallery.
- El Sardinero beach: Cycle along the golden sandy beach's promenade decorated with balustrades alongside turn-of-the-century resorts.
- Palacio de la Magdalena: Imagine a summer vacation in the royal family's cliff-top palace with its opulent bronze chandeliers, carved staircase, king's study, and stables.