Divided by the Yarra River, Melbourne is a nonstop metropolis with a majority of international transplants. From the culture vulture to the sports fanatic, Melbourne has something for you—concerts and street art, football and water sports, and the hidden gems of the laneways. Good thing the city has a coffee obsession; it will keep you going as you discover all that this beautiful beach town has to offer.
Where is Melbourne
What to do in Melbourne
- Music scene: Take your pick of concerts in independent, alternative, avant-garde, and post-punk genres; Melbourne is packed with music venues.
- Street art: See the colorful side of Melbourne in its public art, including a mural by pop art icon Keith Haring.
- Melbourne Cricket Ground: Cheer on Australian cricket, football, or rugby teams during matches at the sporting grounds also known as "The G."
- Yarra River cruise: Float past Melbourne's city center, river gardens, or Victoria Dock and get a view of the city's maritime heritage.
- Queen Victoria Market: Sample street food or grab a cup of coffee as you shop at the largest open-air market in the Southern Hemisphere.