Skip to main content

UC Vaccine Mandate and Study Abroad

March 21, 2021: On July 15, the University of California released the final details of the COVID-19 Vaccination Program. As a condition of Physical Presence at a Location or in a University Program, all Covered Individuals must participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by either being fully vaccinated, or receiving an approved Exception or Deferral. Alternative remote instructional programming for unvaccinated individuals is not available.

Participation in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program is required prior to your physical arrival in a UCEAP Program, including COVID boosters if your campus requires it. Whatever you need to be compliant on campus, you will also need to participate on UCEAP programs.

What do I need to do?

Comply with your home campus vaccine verification process. This includes uploading your vaccine card or completing the request for Deferral or Exception.


I have received a UC approved vaccination exception or deferral; can I still participate in my UCEAP program?

Students who receive an approved vaccination exception or deferral are still subject to the local requirements of the country and host institution at which the program is located. These requirements are routinely updated through official government and partner university platforms, and UCEAP students are responsible for ensuring they comply. UC approved exemptions or deferrals will very likely not be recognized by airlines, program countries, host institutions, or partner providers. Currently, international regulations regarding COVID-19 are extremely fluid. COVID-19 policies and laws from program host countries, host country partners, and transportation bodies may change at any time and may affect your program participation. In addition, UCEAP recommends that students follow nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) while traveling abroad including quarantining upon arrival for the recommended duration, masking when outside their residence and staying home if they manifest any COVID-19 symptoms. Students who receive a COVID vaccine exception or deferral pursuant to the UC Policy acknowledge and accept the risks associated with traveling while unvaccinated. The student acknowledges and agrees that The Regents shall bear no responsibility or liability with respect to any damages, losses, or claims arising out of student’s decision to travel while unvaccinated.


What if I am not currently in the USA and I am not able to receive a vaccine in the country where I am currently living before my UCEAP program start date?

UCEAP students will be required to follow a similar approach as if they were returning to their UC Campus. You can participate in the program on the condition that if you are going to a country where the vaccine is available (now or at some point in the future) you must agree to get vaccinated in that country upon arrival and follow nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) until fully vaccinated or to get vaccinated as soon as the vaccine becomes available in your location. Each student must complete the verification process on their home campus and receive a UC approved deferral.


Will I know the vaccination status of other individuals I engage with in my UCEAP program, including other UCEAP students, host country staff, students, and faculty?

Because vaccination-related information is private and confidential, the University will not disclose vaccine status of Covered Individuals except on a need-to-know basis; however, third parties and some locations may distribute badge attachments, stickers, pins, or other indicators that vaccinated individuals may use to show that they have received the vaccine. Students participating in UCEAP should be aware that UCEAP cannot require staff in many locations abroad to be vaccinated, and faculty, staff or students at partner institutions are not subject to UC’s vaccine mandate.


Where can I find more information on the COVID-19 vaccine and receiving a vaccine?


Students can access information provided by their home campus health center or the CDC website. Vaccine appointments are available throughout the US. Please consult your State or County Public Health Department for detailed information.


Where can I learn more about nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs)?