Fields of Study: Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Engineering
Take courses across a variety of disciplines in this exciting summer program fully customizable by you. Mix and match classes with modules of different lengths, topics, and intensities to create a five-week plan that meets your academic needs, interests, and language skills. The flexible course schedule leaves time to explore the life and culture of Barcelona.
Unique study opportunities
- Interact with locals and students visiting from all over the world in classes and cultural activities.
- Take courses in English, Spanish, or Catalan depending on your language ability.
- Mix and match classes from a competitive lineup of offerings.
LanguageLanguage of Instruction: English
Spanish Language Study: Available at various proficiency levels
During this compact, four-week program, instruction is available in English, Spanish, and Catalan.
Courses and credit
Requirements While Abroad
To successfully complete this program:
- Enroll in up to three courses for 9.0-11.0 quarter/6.0-7.3 semester UC units.
- Be in class for all four weeks.
- Take all courses for a letter grade.
Current Program Courses
Courses on this program are assembled from the offerings of UPF faculty who had to compete to get their classes onto the roster. Instructors were inspired to create new offerings as invitations to think and learn across disciplines, while approaching social and scientific challenges from content, methodological, and practical perspectives. Courses change each year. Courses for the coming summer are posted in mid- to late January.
Research and independent study are typically not available.
Course enrollment takes place in March. The UCEAP Academic Specialist will reach out to you with instructions for completing the course enrollment process. Please be aware that once your course enrollment is completed in March, there will not be a later opportunity to switch courses. Your March course enrollment represents your final course enrollment for the program.
This is a popular program and courses often fill so you should plan to have back-up course options in case your first course choices are full.
Catalogs and resources
- Summer School Course Catalog: Browse the latest course listings and find links to detailed syllabi.
- Welcome Video: Watch a video made by UPF introducing the Barcelona International Summer School.
- UCEAP Course Catalog: See a list of courses UC students have taken on this program.
- Campus Credit Abroad: Learn the types of credit (major, minor, general education, elective) students from your campus received at this location.
Instituted in 1990, UPF is one of the smaller public universities in the country, dedicated to innovative practice in teaching, research, technology, international student exchange, and facilities. Small class sizes make for close contact between students and teachers. UPF takes internationalization seriously, and you’ll be in classes with international as well as Spanish students.
Prior to the start of the program, UCEAP Academic Specialist will contact you with information about the course registration process. You will complete a course selection survey in which you will indicate the courses you wish to take. The UCEAP staff will use this information to complete your registration in the UPF online system.
You will earn direct UC credit and grades for all coursework. Grades for the summer term are available in late September. They may not arrive in time to accommodate summer degree verification deadlines.
Please be aware that UCEAP uses a grade conversion scale that is different from the UPF suggested grade conversion.