Fields of Study: Humanities, Social Sciences
Take courses across a variety of disciplines in this exciting summer program fully customizable by you. Mix and match classes with modules of different lengths, topics, and intensities to create a five-week plan that meets your academic needs, interests, and language skills. The flexible course schedule leaves time to explore the life and culture of Barcelona.
Unique study opportunities
- Interact with locals and students visiting from all over the world in classes and cultural activities.
- Take courses in English, Spanish, or Catalan depending on your language ability.
- Mix and match classes from a competitive lineup of offerings.
LanguageLanguage of Instruction: English
Spanish Language Study: Not available
During this compact, five-week program, instruction is available in English, Spanish, and Catalan.
Courses and credit
Requirements While Abroad
To successfully complete this program:
- Take a full-time course of study: 10 quarter/6.5 semester UC units. The minimum number of courses varies by course unit values. Courses range from 1.5 to 5.0 UC quarter units.
- Combine shorter, one- to three-week courses with those that run through the end of the program.
- Be in class for all five weeks.
- Take all courses for a letter grade.
Current Program Courses
The courses offered in the Barcelona International Summer School Program are assembled from the offerings of UPF faculty who had to compete to get their classes onto the roster. Instructors were inspired to create new offerings as invitations to think and learn across disciplines, while approaching social and scientific challenges from content, methodological, and practical perspectives. Courses change each year. Check the course catalog for the latest offerings.
Research and Independent Study
Research and independent study are typically not available.
Catalogs and resources
- Summer School Course Catalog: Browse the latest course listings and find links to detailed syllabi.
- Welcome Video: Watch a video made by UPF introducing the Barcelona International Summer School.
- UCEAP Course Catalog: See a list of courses UC students have taken on this program.
- Campus Credit Abroad: Learn the types of credit (major, minor, general education, elective) students from your campus received at this location.
Instituted in 1990, UPF is one of the smaller public universities in the country, dedicated to innovative practice in teaching, research, technology, international student exchange, and facilities. Small class sizes make for close contact between students and teachers. UPF takes internationalization seriously, and you’ll be in classes with international as well as Spanish students.
You will earn direct UC credit and grades for all coursework. Grades for the summer term are available one to two months after the program ends. They may not arrive in time to accommodate summer degree verification deadlines.