Beautiful and peaceful, Wageningen features a central square, brick-paved streets, and windmill. Surrounding meadows and forests bring a calming natural perfume into the quaint town. Generous and friendly locals can be your allies in learning the nuances of Dutch culture. A large number of international students come to learn at Wageningen University, which influences daily life in the entire city. Wageningen mirrors the university's focus with an emphasis on sustainable living. A cycling culture dominates the streets, buses run on green gas, and stores specialize in sustainable wine, health, and beauty products.
Where is Wageningen
What to do in Wageningen
- Restaurant of the Future: Fill up your plate at this university cafeteria where researchers harvest data on eating habits.
- Belmonte Arboretum: Hike through the botanic garden considered a living museum and take in the potent aromas of nature—flowers, trees, and the River Rhine.
- Wijngaard Wageningse Berg: Explore the experimental wine-making practices and beautiful grounds of the first Dutch organic vineyard—a sustainable winery offering tastings by appointment.
- De Vlijt windmill: Unravel the mechanics of the wind-powered mill that grinds grain into flour.
- Riverbanks of the Rhine River: Light up a grill for a fall barbecue or glide across the frozen river on ice skates.