Fields of Study: Humanities, Social Sciences, Science, Engineering
If you’re looking for an international experience, the International Summer School program at the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) is an ideal choice. In this compact, six-week session, you can complete two courses while living and studying with students from all over the world.
Unique study opportunities
- Access exciting courses taught in English from several UAB departments.
- Take an interdisciplinary course that is team taught by Spanish professors.
- Participate in the UAB Buddy Programme to meet local students, get to know Spanish culture, and get the most out of university activities.
- Choose classes from a specially curated list that reflects current student interests.
LanguageLanguage of Instruction: English
Spanish Language Study: None
All instruction is in English. On occasion, Spanish-taught courses may be available if you have the necessary language skills.
Courses and credit
Requirements While Abroad
To successfully complete this program:
- Take a full-time course of study: Two courses for a total of 10 quarter/6.7 semester UC units. All courses are worth 6 ECTS, equivalent to 5 quarter units (3.3 semester units) of UC credit.
- Take all courses for a letter grade; the pass/no pass credit is not available on this program.
Current Program Courses
Many course offerings have remained consistent over the past few years, but they may change depending on student interest and the availability of professors in the summer months. Before departure, you’ll receive a survey regarding course selection. If there is an initial lack of interest from students for any one or more courses, these may be canceled before the program starts. Registration is then finalized after arrival.
The summer session is divided into two three-week periods. You’ll complete one course per teaching period.
First Teaching Period:
- Leadership, Negotiation Techniques
- Theory and Analysis of Television
- Computer Networks
- Ecological Economics and Degrowth Principles
- Introduction to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Planet Earth
- Introduction to Translation and Interpreting Technologies
- Resources for Teaching and Learning English in Infant and Primary Education
- Urban Performing Arts
- Psychological First Aid
Second Teaching Period:
- European Economic Integration
- Geography of Global Change
- Critical Thinking
- Fundamentals Psychobiology
- History of Asia
- Career Development for the Common Good
- Psychological First Aid (in Spanish)
- How Cities Bounce Back from a Terror Attack: Barcelona (Spain) as an Experience
Research and Independent Study
Research and independent study are typically not available.
Catalogs and resources
- UAB Summer Course Listings: Scroll to the middle of the page to see the most up-to-date course list.
- UCEAP Course Catalog: See a list of courses UC students have taken on this program.
- Campus Credit Abroad: Learn the types of credit (major, minor, general education, elective) students from your campus received at this location
Classes are taught in English and designed specifically for short summer terms. They are offered from several departments, many of which are interdisciplinary and team taught by UAB professors. The program is available to local Spanish students from UAB as well as students from other countries. The courses are intensive and consist of at least 55 contact hours each teaching period. Classes are in the mornings and afternoons are reserved for self-guided study (2-3 hours recommended).
You will earn direct UC credit and grades for all coursework. Grades for the summer term are typically available a month after the program ends. They may not arrive in time to accommodate summer degree verification deadlines.