Skip to main content

Dates and Eligibility

Program requirements are about helping you find your best match in a new academic setting abroad. As a University of California (UC) program, requirements are carefully set to ensure you can access as many programs as possible. At the same time, eligibility will help you narrow the choices and find a program where you can succeed and thrive. Here’s some basic criteria to start.

Are you…

  • a registered, UC student?
  • in good academic standing?

If you answered yes to both of these questions—good news! You meet the qualifications to apply to UCEAP. If you are unsure about some of these questions, check in with your advisor on campus.


The following are minimum requirements to participate in this program. Some requirements are set by the host country, the host university, or third-party providers. Most requirements must be met at the time you apply. However, you have until departure to meet class level and most language requirements. If you have questions, a study abroad advisor on campus can help.   

Citizenship Considerations

The People’s Republic of China (PRC) government doesn't recognize dual nationality. If you're a dual national of the US (or any other country) and the PRC, or otherwise have ethnic or historical ties to the PRC, PRC authorities may assert that you're a PRC citizen. This may cause issues in obtaining the documents necessary to participate in the program.

Class Level
Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate
Minimum GPA
Prerequisite Courses
Eligible Majors
All UC majors welcome
Language Prerequisite
No minimum, but a maximum of 9 quarters/6 semesters university-level Chinese at the time of departure.

NOTE: This program does not have coursework for native or heritage speakers. If you are a native or heritage speaker, you are ineligible for this program.

Language GPA

​​​​​​Peking University does not accept students who have passports solely from the following: Hong Kong, Macau, the People's Republic of China, or Taiwan. Students holding dual citizenship must apply with their other passport.