Skip to main content


Fields of Study: Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, Engineering

The academic program at Lund University consists of university courses taught in English in a wide variety of disciplines as well as hands-on research opportunities in science and engineering. To get the most out of your time abroad, enroll in at least two departmental courses that focus on your UC major.

Unique study opportunities

  • Take special courses in Nordic and Viking history, music, art, and law.
  • Participate in research or lab work on enzyme tech, drug formulation, bio-informants, or protein engineering.
  • Learn to create beautiful things in simple modern Scandinavian design.
  • Learn about Scandinavian models of social equality for families and individuals.


Language of Instruction: English

Swedish Language Study: Required during intensive language program and optional during term

The program begins with an intensive language program (ILP), which concentrates on developing Swedish communication skills. Most UCEAP students are at the beginning level, however intermediate and advanced levels may be available. 

Throughout the rest of the program, all instruction is English and you have the option to continue your Swedish language study. 

Courses and credit

Requirements While Abroad

To successfully complete this program:

  • Take a full-time course of study: Three to four courses for a total of 24 quarter/16 semester UC units during the term.
  • During the ILP: One course for a total of 4 quarter/2.7 semester UC units (in the fall) or 3 quarter/2 semester UC units (in the spring).
  • If you enroll in two or three courses, you may take one course for pass/no pass credit; if you enroll in four, you may take two for pass/no pass credit.

Current Program Courses

Lund University has particularly strong course offerings in anthropology, biology, business and economics, chemistry, history, international studies, math, physics, political science, and sociology. Most coursework is at the upper-division undergraduate level.

This program is ideal for engineering students who want to take courses abroad in their major in English. The Engineering department at Lund offers courses in most Engineering disciplines including bioengineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, materials science, mechanical engineering, environmental engineering, industrial engineering, and computer science. 

Every semester Lund University offers exchange students the unique opportunity to take Special Area Studies courses in a wide range of subject areas that introduce you to Swedish culture and society and European topics. 

The fall semester runs into the month of January. If you are studying during the fall only, you may need to make special arrangements to complete exams by late December. 

Catalogs and resources

  • Lund University Course Catalog: Each faculty has their own list of courses for exchange students. Click on the links under the faculty title to search for courses. As a UCEAP, student you can take courses at the Master level provided that you have the appropriate background and meet the prerequisites. Master-level courses should be taken only within your major. These courses will transfer back to UC as upper-division undergraduate credit.
  • Engineering courses at Lund University: Get tips for Navigating the Lund University Faculty of Engineering (LTH) Course Catalog.
  • Special Area Studies courses: Browse Swedish culture and society courses available.
  • UCEAP Course Catalog: See a list of courses UC students have taken on this program.
  • Campus Credit Abroad: Learn the types of credit (major, minor, general education, elective) students from your campus received at this location.

Academic culture

The typical Lund University course differs from a typical UC course in that students are expected to supplement the course significantly with personal study (e.g., doing more than the minimum assigned reading). Swedish higher education values self-reliance and maturity. Instructors expect critical thinking on material presented in lectures and expect students to be prepared for discussion.


You will earn direct UC credit and grades for all coursework. There is usually a comprehensive final exam at the end of each academic course that tests your ability to present and analyze the class material studied in the lecture and in the reading. Grading in the course is normally based on the results of the final exam and on the required group study, research, and papers. Grading is based on both knowledge and presentation of course material.

Grades for the fall semester are typically available by mid-March and grades for the spring semester are typically available by mid-August.